Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Comin Home

so czech it out!
I got hassled (you could go as so far as to say bitched out) by the guy at customs in London because I didnt have an eticket for my london denver flight so he gave me a lecture on how I was obviously an inexperienced traveler to go through customs without adequate information on my next ticket (I just had the flight number and times because I switched around the ticket so much with the travel agent and by the time I got that one, I was in kenya and internet sucked), especially after 911, he said!
So I came out from that a little low morale and nervous, especially considering that I was smuggling a bunch of african fruits and tea leaves into several very important countries (dubai, london, and the us). So after a few hours of hanging around the terminal waiting until I could check in (my layover is 7 hours), the guy at the check out counter saw no problem with my limited ticket info, made a phone call as I was tying back the straps of my backpack, and told me I was upgraded to business class, meaning I also had access to the lounge. So now Im in an upper sequestered area of the heathrow airport sipping a cappuccino and helping myself to the numerous complimentary buffets, plus free wifi and a wide assortment of velvet lounge chairs. I am so down with this. AND, on both the flights to dubai and to london, the seat next to me was free. Considering that in the last month and a half Ive had a total of one actual shower, my clothes are the same ones Ive been wearing for the last three months and they too havent been washed by anything but my grubby hands in a bucket of dirty water, Ive been in transit for two full days now and probably smell like ass, I should feel out of place here, amongst dapper looking, immaculately pressed, dressed and shaved (probably not by their own hands either), business men with british accents, but I feel just fine. I think Ill go get meself a glass of wine.

2 comments:

  1. Ah!! I love it! You got a well deserved upgrade! What a fine finish to your amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete